Articles

North Carolina Environmental Law

Casselton North Dakota Accident Results in Evacuation and Concerns Over Rail Safety

On Monday December 30, 2013, the residents of a small North Dakota town called Casselton were forced from their homes following a fiery train accident.  The accident, which happened around 2:30 pm, involved a BNSF Railway Co. train carrying crude oil.  According to reports, the train derailed causing multiple cars to catch fire and explode.

Casselton, a town of about 2,400 residents, underwent a precautionary evacuation that lasted into Tuesday, December 31, 2013.  Complicating matters were temperatures below zero which certainly made it difficult for the residents of Casselton.  Residents of Casselton reported that the explosions from the accident shook their homes and businesses for hours.

The derailment happened even as concerns are growing over the safety of shipping significant quantities of crude oil by rail.  Fortunately, in this accident there were not the same catastrophic effects of a similar accident in Ontario this past summer. In the Ontario accident, forty-seven people died following the derailment of a train carrying crude oil.

There are reports that BNSF has set up a claims center for people displaced form their homes due to this accident.  Typically, these claims centers only reimburse people for out-of-pocket expenses related to an evacuation.  The lawyers at Hendren & Malone have represented thousands of families in similar cases across the country and secured compensation not only for out-of-pocket costs but also for the loss of use of the home and other incidental expenses such as lost wages.  If you or a family member have a question about your rights following an industrial accident such as this, contact the lawyers at Hendren & Malone for a free consultation.

Hendren, Redwine & Malone posts this article to allow people who visit our website access to stories and information that might be of interest and, where appropriate, to make decisions about matters that may improve their lives. By posting this article, Hendren, Redwine & Malone makes no representations as to any relationship we may have with any of the individuals or businesses that are discussed in the article. If you are a family member of someone discussed in this article and have some concerns about the posting of this article, please contact us immediately. This post is an advertisement for legal services.

If you or a family member were involved in this incident and have questions about your legal rights, please call Hendren, Redwine & Malone and ask to speak with Mike Malone. You can also send an email to Mike Malone by using the message box on the right. We typically respond within an hour of receiving a message.

Carbon Monoxide Leak at Lincoln NC Plant Injures Multiple Employees

A serious carbon monoxide situation at a plant in Lincoln County, North Carolina has resulted in at least twenty seven employees being treated for exposure to carbon monoxide.

The RW Garcia Plant reported a leak of carbon monoxide on Monday afternoon and the facility was evacuated.  However, twenty seven employees and one emergency responder were taken to local hospitals for exposure to the toxic gas.

According to reports, Charlotte’s HazMat team is investigating to determine the source of the leak and the plant remains closed.

Read more on this incident.

If you or a family member has a question about a North Carolina carbon monoxide leak claim, contact the lawyers at Hendren & Malone for a free consultation.  Attorney J. Michael Malone has a Ph.D. in environmental engineering and has represented hundreds of North Carolinians in toxic exposure cases.

Hendren, Redwine & Malone posts this article to allow people who visit our website access to stories and information that might be of interest and, where appropriate, to make decisions about matters that may improve their lives. By posting this article, Hendren, Redwine & Malone makes no representations as to any relationship we may have with any of the individuals or businesses that are discussed in the article. If you are a family member of someone discussed in this article and have some concerns about the posting of this article, please contact us immediately. This post is an advertisement for legal services.

If you or a family member were involved in this incident and have questions about your legal rights, please call Hendren, Redwine & Malone and ask to speak with Mike Malone. You can also send an email to Mike Malone by using the message box on the right. We typically respond within an hour of receiving a message.

Carbon Monoxide Leak at Lincoln County NC Plant Injures 28

A serious leak of carbon monoxide gas at a plant in Lincoln County on Monday has resulted in the hospitalization of 28 people including one emergency responder.

The leak occurred at the RW Garcia Corp. Plant at around 1:00 pm.  It is not clear what caused the leak at this time.  However, in many of these cases, gas leaks are the result of either poor maintenance practices or the failure of a valve or pipe fitting.  Hopefully, state OSHA inspectors will determine what went wrong here.

Hendren, Redwine & Malone posts this article to allow people who visit our website access to stories and information that might be of interest and, where appropriate, to make decisions about matters that may improve their lives. By posting this article, Hendren, Redwine & Malone makes no representations as to any relationship we may have with any of the individuals or businesses that are discussed in the article. If you are a family member of someone discussed in this article and have some concerns about the posting of this article, please contact us immediately. This post is an advertisement for legal services.

If you or a family member were involved in this incident and have questions about your legal rights, please call Hendren, Redwine & Malone and ask to speak with Mike Malone. You can also send an email to Mike Malone by using the message box on the right. We typically respond within an hour of receiving a message.

Diamond Cat and Dog Food Salmonella Sickens 49 People

Diamond Pet Foods has been identified as the cause of multiple sicknesses due to cat and dog food manufactured at its facility in Gaston, South Carolina.

The number of sick people is increasing despite a recall of the contaminated products.  The sick are suffering from Salmonella Infantis and several have been hospitalized.  More are expected to become sick as the products have a shelf life of one year.

Click here for more on this story.

If you or a family member has been sickened by exposure to any Diamond Pet Food, please contact the lawyers at Hendren & Malone for a free consultation.